The Western States Horse Expo is coming up! For those of you in northern California, the Goode Rider gals will be in Sacramento all weekend long. Come visit us in the “C” Building at Booth #3801. We’ll be having our annual Goode Rider Cash N’ Carry Clearance Sale at the trade show, with all items priced at 50%-80% off!
The Horse Expo is open Friday, June 9 through Sunday, June 11 from 9am-6pm (closes at 5pm on Sunday). If you’ve never been, you’re in for a treat. In addition to incredible shopping and food, attendees can take part in all kinds of fun and games throughout the long weekend. Even returning attendees will be be pleased to discover something new: The Expo has constructed new arenas to accommodate the bursting-at-the-seams schedule of events this year.
Horse Expo Clinics
From basic horsemanship skills to specific disciplines, the Horse Expo features a wide variety of clinics. Furthermore, they’re all free to audit with the price of admission! The popular “Clinicians Unmounted,” a group setting in which participants can meet the clinicians and ask questions, is also happening this year. Clinicians include the following stars:
- Charles deKunffy, world-renowned for teaching classical training traditions and classical riding skills
- Pat Parelli, founder of modern day Natural Horsemanship and a complete program of developing both horse and rider
- John Lyons, “America’s Most Trusted Horseman”
- Josh Lyons, founder of Josh Lyons Certification Program
- Warwick Schiller, reining
- Jim Masterson, equine massage
- Kalley Krickenberg, three days of colt starting
- Brandi Lyons, fundamentals, confidence, control
- Jochen Schleese, saddle fitting
The Western States Horse Expo University will host a number of educational sessions. Topics include equine research, health, nutrition, fitness, behavior and more. Featured experts and educators include the following:
- Deb Bennett, horse anatomy and biomechanics
- Bryan Owen, photonic heath and proper foot balance
- Kristin Stephens, equine nutrition
- Rick Roncka, equine pharmaceuticals
- Carole Herder, hoof boots and saddle pads
- Jeff Moore, therapeutic connection between horse and rider
- Richard Godbee, animal nutrition and nutritional biochemistry
- Ron McLoughlin, lateral system of training focusing on horse’s footwork
- Lyn Ringrose Moe, Cowboy Dressage
- Heidi McLaughlin, overcoming fear
There is also a lineup of speakers dedicated to trail riding. This year, the Trail Symposium experts touch on a wide range of backcountry topics:
- Teresa Spencer, horse safety
- Samantha Szesciorka, long distance riding
- Jerry Heitzler, mules
- George Archer, packing
- Carolyn Gilmore, wildfire preparedness
- Debra Mason, Dutch oven open-fire cooking
- Lucy Badenhoop, planning ahead and preparedness
- Dennis Serpa, Back Country Horsemen of California
This sport challenges riders to make the best possible five-card poker hand. How? Instead of the standard rodeo-style numbers on the cows, there are giant specially-designs playing cards! Riders must think strategically and ride competitively in dynamic, timed events including PokerPenning and 2ManPokerSort.
Rigs and Digs
In the market for a new trailer? The Rigs and Digs area of the Western States Horse Expo showcases the most horse trailers on display in the entire country. Mechanics are onsite to put on a new hitch, rewire lighting or do anything else needed to make driving a new trailer a safe experience.
BLM Mustang Adoptions are scheduled to help home wonderful, professionally-started mustangs.
We’ll see you there!